Block parties typically close no more than one block of a local service residential street for a small-scale parties such as neighborhood potluck dinners and barbecues. You can not have a block party on a street that is on a bus route, has a bus layover, or a signalized traffic intersection. They are typically held on weekends or holidays and do not extend past 10:00 pm. The application to close the street can be obtained through SWNI.
The City of Portland does not charge a fee for a block party. SWNI has the liability insurance to obtain the permit. The liability insurance will NOT cover races, any events where alcoholic beverages are sold, or the use of mechanical devise such as merry-go-rounds.
Follow these steps to request a block party permit. Start the process at least three (3) weeks prior to the date you would like to hold the block party.
1. Contact SWNI for the packet or download it. The packet includes a permit, a petition, which must have 100% signature from all the residents and/or businesses on the street you wish to close, (sideyards are included in this requirement.) and a map.
2. Return permit to the SWNI office so we can add our insurance information and sign your permit.
3. Hand-carry the petition and obtain approval in the form of signatures on the petition. If a house is vacant, indicate that on the petition, you need to account for all of the houses on the block and adjacent properties.
4. Send the petition to the Office of Transportation for review and approval. The applicant contact person will be called if there is any follow-up needed by the Office of Transportation.
5. After the application has been approved, the permit will be sent to you.
6. Arrange to have type II barricades with “Street Closed” sign (equipped with flashing yellow lights if the street will be closed after dusk) to be placed at both ends of the street. You can find a listing of these companies in the yellow pages under Barricades.
7. Keep the permit available on site for review if a police officer requests it.
8. If you want amplify music, you will need a permit from the City of Portland Noise Control Office. You can pick up an application at our office, (view), or call the Noise Control Office for the City of Portland 503 823-7350. There is an application fee. You need to apply at least two (2) weeks prior to your event or an accelerated fee could be assessed.